How to apply
"Just applying for a Fellowship has been one of the best experiences of my life. If you’re passionate about helping change, I would encourage anyone to look into it." - Town councillor Tod Sullivan, Fellow
We are open for applications in 2019 from 16 May to 17 September at 5pm. This is for travels in 2020 and beyond.
We have made our application process as simple and open as possible. Before starting, you should ensure that you meet our criteria for who we fund.
- Application: the first stage is to complete our simple Application Form online. The form asks about your proposed topic and travels, and some standard personal details. It also asks which award category your project relates to. You should use this form to demonstrate that your project is feasible and meets our funding criteria. If your project concerns children or adults at risk, we would expect you to have relevant experience and be able to assess the risks in order to safely carry out your project. The deadline for us to receive the form is 5pm on 17 September 2019. Late forms will not be considered.
- Shortlisting: if you are shortlisted, we will contact you in November and ask you to complete our in-depth Shortlist Form online. You will have around three weeks to complete and submit this form. It requests more detail about your project, an outline budget and two references. It will form the basis for a short interview in January.
- Interviews: all shortlistees are invited for a 20-minute interview by a panel of people from their field, in January.
- Results: successful candidates will be informed in February. You will then be invited to attend one of our New Fellows' Seminars in London, where you can meet our team and learn how to plan your project and set up your trip. You can travel from April onwards.
- You can only apply once in a year. If you do not succeed, you can apply again in a following year. You can only be awarded a Fellowship once.
- The Application and Shortlist Forms are available on our website only at the relevant periods, not in advance.
There is additional guidance on our FAQs page.
Video: Advice from successful candidates about applying