"The extent and quality of the Fellows' work has been remarkable - and long may it continue." - UK Secretary of State for Education, 2017
Every year we offer Fellowships in a series of 'award categories' that reflect key contemporary issues.
In addition, there is always an Open category for any topics beyond this range.
Categories for 2020
- Arts for the built environment
- Emergency response
- Enterprise: supporting social impact
- Environment, conservation and sustainable living
- Healthcare: innovations for the twenty-first century
- Palliative and end of life care
- Physical activity: making moves for healthier lives
- Rural living: strengthening countryside communities
- Science, technology and engineering
- Suicide: prevention, intervention and postvention
- Open category: for any topics beyond this range
You might also find these pages useful:
You can register here for email alerts about the next application round, which runs from 16 May to 17 September 2019.
How it works
Applicants are encouraged to apply in the relevant category for their topic, or else in the Open category.
Categories evolve each year as new issues and trends emerge. They are selected to address eight universal themes in society: communities, culture, education, economy, environment, health, governance and science and technology.
Each category typically comprises 10 Fellowships and runs for three years. This creates a community of knowledge leaders in that subject, who can multiply their impact through networking and collaboration.
We welcome partners to support each category with their expertise or funding.
We develop new categories through our Advisory Council, who are experts in their fields.