"The extent and quality of the Fellows' work has been remarkable and long may it continue." - UK Secretary of State for Education, 2017
Every year we offer Fellowships in a range of subjects that reflect contemporary issues in UK society. These are our award categories and they evolve over time to address new challenges.
We encourage applicants to apply in one of these categories, for which there are typically 10 Fellowships a year. We also maintain an Open category for any other topics.
In May 2019 we will open for applications in these categories:
- Artists & makers
- Emergency services: crisis prevention, response and recovery
- Enterprise: supporting social impact
- Environment, conservation and sustainable living
- Healthcare: innovations for the twenty-first century
- Palliative and end of life care
- Physical activity: making moves for healthier lives
- Rural living: strengthening countryside communities
- Science, technology and engineering
- Suicide: prevention, intervention and postvention
- Open category: for any projects beyond this range
More details will be available closer to the time. You can register here for email alerts about the next application round, which will run from 16 May to 17 September 2019.
The award categories are developed by our Advisory Council, who are experts in their fields. Categories tend to run for three years. This allows us to develop a cohort of knowledge leaders in that subject, who can network and collaborate. We also look for partner organisations in each category, who can provide expertise or funding to amplify the impact of the Fellows in their field.